- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Drops
- Composition : Atropine Sulphate 5 mg/ 1 ml
- Active Substance : Atropine Sulphate
Atropine is an antimuscarinic alkaloid with both peripheral and central actions .
* Atropine – Medico is used as a cycloplegic and mydriatic :Dilatation of the pupil occurs in half an hour Following one local application, and lasts for a week or more; marked paralysis of accommodation is obtained in 1 to 3 Hours with recovery in 7 – 12 days .
* It is used in the treatment of iritis and uveitis to immobilization the ciliary muscle and iris, and to Prevent or break down adhesions .
* Because of its powerful cycloplegic action, Atropine is also used in the determination of refraction
in children below the age of 6 years, and in children with convergent strabismus .
Adverse effects :
* Systemic toxicity effects may be produced by the instillation of antimuscarinic eye drops, especially in children .
* Prolonged administration of Atropine – Medico to the eye may cause local irritation, oedema, and Conjunctivitis .
* An increase in intra-ocular pressure may occur, especially in patients with closed-angle glaucoma .
* Hypersensitivity to Atropine – Medico rarely may occur as conjunctivitis.
Atropine – Medico should not be given to patients with closed-angle glaucoma or to patients with a narrow angle between the iris and the cornea, since it may be raise intra-ocular pressure
andprecipitate an Acute attack .
* In the treatment of ocular inflammatory disorders such as uveitis or iritis
– In adults : 1 or 2 drops of 0.5% or 1% solution instilled into the eye(s)up to four times daily .
– In children : ( 1 – 2 ) drops of a 0.5% solution ( or one drop of a 1% solution )instilled up to three times daily .
* For refraction in adults, the dose is one drop of a 1% solution twice daily for 1 or 2 days before the
Examination and one hour before examination .
In children the dose for refraction is 1 or 2 drops of 0.5% solution instilled twice daily for 1 to 3 days before the examination, with a further dose given one hour before the procedure .
* There are some who recommend that Atropine sulphate should not be instilled into the eyes of Children younger than 3 months of age due to apossible association between the cycloplegia produced and the development Of amblyopia .
Bottle of 10 ml.