- ANTI-INFECTIVE AGENTS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AGENTS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Drops
- Composition : Dexamethasone Sod. Phose.1 mg+ Chloramphenicol 4 mg / 1 ml
- Active Substance : Dexamethasone Sod. Phos.+Chloramphenicol
*Dexamethasone is a potent corticosteroid with anti allergic , anti exudative and anti proliferative properties .
*Chloramphenicol is a broad – spectrum bacteriostatic antibiotic which acts by
inhiting the bacterial protein synthesis .
The corticosteroid – antiboitic association reduces inflammation while concurrently attacking the existing infection or preventing the outbreak of infection .
* Inflammatory diseases of the anterior segment of the eye,produced by or associated
with germs sensitive to chloramphenicol .
* Allergic inflammations associated with infection .
* Acute and chronic conjunctivitis.
* Non-ulcerous keratitis.
*Ocular post-operative treatment .
In the event of severe infections the treatment should be complemented by the systemic administration of an adequate antibiotic .
*Dexachlor may increase intraocular pressure particularly pateints with family history
of glaucoma , therefore must be administered only under physician supervision .
* Due to potential toxic effect of chloramphenicol on bone – marrow do not
use unless absolutely necessary, and only for infections produced by germs sensitive to the antibiotic .
* Prolonged use is not recommended .
* Do not use concurrently with other ophthalmic preparations containing other antibiotics or sulphonamides .
*Do not use with bactericidal antibiotics because of the possibility of antagonism.
* Glaucoma simplex. * Hypersensitivity to any of components product .
* Viral , fungal infections , or ocular tuberculosis .
* New born infants or patients with a history of bone – marrow insufficiency .
Side effects :
* Prolonged treatment with corticosteroids may increase intraocular pressure with
related consequenses .
* Fungal infections of the cornea or infections due to the other non susceptible
organisms may occur . In which event medication should be interrupted and
adequate measures taken .
* Chloramphenicol can produce alterations in bone-marrow, basically aplastic alterations .
* If Chloramphenicol is administered systemically medication can cause allergic reactions,
in which event treatment should be discontinued .
Dosage and Administration :
Normally treatment begin with one or two drops every three hours or more frequently in the first 48 hours.Once an improvement in condition is obtained dosage is reduced to one or two drops three times a day .Treatment should be continued for at least 48 hours after the symptoms have disappeared.Use for more than 14 days is not recommended , unless otherwise advised by physician .
Packaging : Bottle 10 ml.