- Pharmaceutical Form : Tablets
- Composition : Dexamethasone 1.5 mg / Tab
- Active Substance : Dexamethasone
The active material in Dexamed tablets is Dexamthasone , it is anti-inflammatory Steroid .
The synthetic corticosteroids including Dexamthasone are primarily used for their potent
anti-inflammatory effects in disorders of many organ systems.
A high dosage of Dexamthasone decreased the body’s immune response and their
metabolic and sodium retention effects are lower than hydrocortisone .
1- Allergic states : severe allergic , urticaria , anaphylactic choke .
2- Dermatologic diseases : pemphingus , lichen , severe psoriasis, mycosis fungoids severe
3- Hematologic disorders : idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpurea , acquired (autoimmune)
hemolytic anemia , erythroblastopenia (RBC anemia).
4 – Endocrine disorders : congenital adrenal hyperplasia , nonsuppurative thyroidistis , hypercalcemia associated with cancer .
5- Ophthalmic disease : allergic conjunctivitis , Keratitis , Herpes zoster ophthalmicus iritis and iridocyclitis , optic neuritis .
6- Respiratory disease : symptomatic sarcoidosis , cases of obstructive broncho pneum. pathe , some cases of asthma .
7- Rheumatic disorders : rheumatoid arthritis , acute and subacute bursitis , ankylosing spondylitis .
Contra indication :
– Systemic fungal infections
– Hypersensitivity to this drug .
Side effects :
1- Fluid and electrolyte disturbance : Sodium retention , fluid retention , potassium loss ,
2- Musclo skeletal : Muscle weakness , Loss of Muscle mass, Osteoporosis .
3- Gastrointestinal : Peptic ulcer , Pancreatitis , abdominal distention , Ulcerative esophagitis
4- Dermatologic : impaired wound healing , thin fragile skin , increased sweating , allergic dermatitis , Urticaria .
5- Neurologic : Convulsions , Vertigo , Headache , Psychic disturbances .
6- Endocrine : Menstrual irregularities , Suppression of growth in children , increased requirements for insulin or oral hypoglycemic agents in diabetics .
7- Ophthalmic : increased intraocular pressure , Glucoma .
8- Other : Hypersensitivity , weight gain , increased appetite , Nausea .
*Corticosteroid should be used cautiously in patients with ocular herpes simplex because of
possible corneal .perforation .
* The reduction in dosage of corticosteroids should be gradual .
* Steroids should be used with caution in nonspecific ulceration colitis .
*Corticosteroid Should not be used during pregnancy and lactation .
* Corticosteroid Should be used with caution in children because of possible suppression
of growth on prolonged therapy.
Drug interactions :
* Aspirin should be used cautiously in conjunction with corticosteroids in hypoprothrobinemia .
* phenytoin , phenobarbital , ephedrine and rifampin may enhance the metabolic Clearance
of corticosteroids .
* the prothrombin time should be checked freqently in patients who reciving
Corticosteroids and coumarin anticoagulants at the same time because of reports that corticosteroids have altered the response to these anticoagulants .
* when corticosteroids are administered concomitantly with potassium – depleting Diuretics, patients should be observed closely for development of hypokalemia .
Dosage & Administration :
Dosage requirements are variable and must be individualized on the basis of the disease and the response of the patient .
The initial dosage varies from 0.75 to 9 mg. A day depending on the disease being treated .
In less severe diseases doses lower than 0.75 mg. May suffice , while in severe diseases doses higher than 9 mg. may be required .
Dexamed 0.5 – 1.5 should be used only as priscription of the physicans .
Storage Conditions : Store up to 25oC
Dexamed 0.5 : Box of (20 – 100 – 500 – 1000 ) tablets.
Dexamed 1.5 : Box of (20 – 100 – 500 – 1000 ) tablets