- PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Film Coated Tablets
- Composition : Escitalopram 10 mg / Ctd. Tab
- Active Substance : Escitalopram
Escitalopram oxalate is a medicine for depression and other related problems it is a Potent
selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor ( SSRI ) escitalopram is the active isomer of the antidepressant
drug citalopram .
Esi-pram ( Escitalopram oxalate ) is indicated for the treatment of major depressive
Disorder and maintenance therapy to prevent people with depression from suffering a relapse .
Esi-pram is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to escitalopram oxalate or
citalopram or any of the inactive ingredients of the product .
Esi-pram ( escitalopram ) should not be used in combination with a MAOI or within 14 days of
discontinuing treatment with a MAOI .
* Continue to take your tablets even if you do not immediately feel better . it can take about 4
weeks before you feel the effect of Esi-pram .
* If you have been taking Esi-pram regularly for some time , do not suddenly stop taking it , you
must gradually reduce the dose or your symptoms may get worse .
* You may get drowsy or dizzy .
* do not drive , use machinery or do anything that needs mental alertness .
* Do not stand or sit up quickly especially if you are an older patient .
* Avoid alcoholic drinks .
* Do not treat yourself for coughs , colds or allergies without asking your Doctor or health care
professional for advice some ingredients can increase possible side effects .
* Esi-pram should be used cautiously in patients with history of mania .
* Esi-pram should be used with caution in patients with a history of seizure disorder .
* Esi-pram should be used with caution in diabetic patients on insulin or other antidiabetic drugs
* The use of Esi-pram in hepatically impaired patients should be approached with caution and a
lower maximum dosage ( 10 mg / day ) is recommended .
* Esi-pram should not be used during pregnancy and to nursing mothers .
* Safety and effectiveness in children below the age of 18 years have not been established
* Suicide : high risk patients should be closely supervised throughout therapy with Escitalopram
Oxalate and consideration should be given to the possible need for hospitalization .
Drug abuse and Dependence :
Physicians should carefully evaluate Esi-pram patients for history of drug abuse and follow such
patients closely , observing them for sings of misuse or abuse (eg . development of tolerance ,
incrementation of dose , drug seeking behavior )
Rare or uncommon : Confusion dizziness or lightheadedness , skin rash , itching ( hives ) ,
fast talking and excited feeling or actions that are out of control , vomiting .
The following additional adverse reaction have been reported : agitation or restlessness ,
blurred vision , diarrhea , difficulty sleeping , drowsiness , dry mouth , headache , indigestion ,
nausea , increased or decreased appetite , increased sweating , weight changes .
Drug Interactions :
Do not take Esi-pram with any of the following medications :
Medicines called MAO inhibitors phenelzine , tranylcypromine , isocarboxazid , selegiline
Also certain diet drugs ( dexfenfluramine , fenfluramine , sibutramine ),certain medicines for
blood pressure or heart broblems ( bisoprolol , diltiazem , encainide , metoprolol , mexiletine ,
propranolol , verapamil ) certain steroids ( dexamethasone ,methylprednisolone , prednisone ),
cimetidine , cyproheptadine , dextromethorphan , diazepam , grapefruit juice , lithium ,
medicines that treat HIV infection or AIDS , migraine headache medicines ( naratriptan ,
rizatriptan ) certain seizure medicines ( carbamazepine,phenobarbital , phenytoin ),medicines
for mental problems and psychotic disturbances ( clozapine , haloperidol , phenothiazines ,
risperidone ) .Modafinil , omeprazole .
Pain relievers ( codeine , hydrocodone , meperidine , morphine , oxycodone ) ,Prescription .
some medicines for infections ( clarithromycin , clotrimazole , erythromycin , ketoconazole ,
metronidazole ,norfloxacin,rifabutin , rifampin , tricyclic antidepressant medication , like
amitriptyline or imipramine,troglitazone , tryptophan , valerian , venlafaxine .At least 14 days
should elapse between discontinuation of a MAOI and initiation of Therapy with Esi-pram
similarly, at least 14 days should be allowed after stopping Esi-pram before starting a MAOI .
Esi-pram ( Escitalopram ) is the active isomer of the citalopram . the patient should not be on
both medications at the same time . The concomitant use of alcohol and Esi-pram should be
Dosage and administration :
Adults : the initial dose of Esi-pram is 10 mg once daily . if the dose is increased to 20 mg ,
this should occur after a minimum of one week .
Eldery : A single oral dose of 10 mg / day is the recommended dose for most elderly Patients .
Hepatic impairment :
patients with reduced hepatic function should receive dosages of no more than 10 mg / day .
Renal impairment :
Esi-pram should used with caution in patients with sever renal impairment .
no dosage adjustments necessary for patients with mild or moderate renal impairment .
Storage conditions : store up to 25oC
Esi-pram 10 Box of 20 coated tab. Esi-pram 20 Box of 20 coated tab.