- ANTI-INFECTIVE AGENTS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AGENTS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Drops
- Composition : Gentamicin (Sulphate) 3 mg+ Dexamethasone Sod. Phos. 1mg /1 ml
- Active Substance : Gentamicin (Sulphate)+Dexamethasone
* Gentamicin is amino glycoside antibiotic active against a wide variety of Pathogenic gram negative & gram positive bacteria . the gram-positive bacteria against which Gentamicin is active include positive and negative staphylococci, including certain strains that are resistant to pencillin, group A beta – hemolytic and non-hemolytic streptococci , and
the gram – negative bacteria against which Gentamicin is active include certain strains of pseudomonas aeruginosa, indole – negative proteus species, escherichia , klebsiella and Neisseria Species .
*Dexamethasone is a highly effective anti-inflammatory agent for use in a wide range of ocular inflammations . It causes inhibition of inflammatory response to exciting agents of mechanical, chemical, or immunological nature
Gentadex is indicated for steroid – sensitive inflammatory ocular conditions for which a corticosteroid is
indicated and where bacterial infection or a risk of bacterial ocular infection exists .
Ocular steroids are indicated in inflammatory conditions of the palpebral and bulbar conjunctiva, cornea, and anterior segment of the globe where the inherent risk of steroid use in certain infective conjunctivitis is accepted to obtain a diminution in edema and inflammation .
It is also indicated in chronic anterior uveitis and cornealinjury from chemical, radiation, or thermal burns, or penetration of foreign bodies .
Epithelial herpes simplex keratitis ( dendritic keratitis), acute infectious stages of vaccinia, varicella, and many other viral diseases of the cornea and conjunctiva .
Mycobacterial infection of the eye . Fungal diseases of ocular structures.
Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparation .
* Prolonged use may result in glaucoma, with damage to the optic nerve, defects in visual acuity and fields of vision, and posterior subcapsular cataract Formation .
* In those diseases causing thinning of the cornea or sclera, perforations have been known to occur with the use of topical corticosteroids .
* In acute purulent conditions of the eye, corticosteroids may mask infection or enhance existing infection if used for 10 days or longer .
* Intra ocular pressure should be routinely monitored even though it may by difficult in children and uncooperative patients .
Pregnancy and lactations :
Should be used by pregnant women and nursing mothers on phisician advise only .
Adverse reactions :
Most reactions are accured from the presence of the antibiotic are allergic sensitiveness .
The reactions due to the corticosteroid component elevation of intraocular pressure with possible development of glaucoma , and infrequent optic nerve damage, posterior subcapsular cataract formation, and delay wounds healing .
Apply Gentadex drops or ointment ( 1 – 4) times daily according to ophthalmologist prescription
Storage Conditions: Store in a dry place below 25° C
Packing :Gentadex ophthalmic oint. : tube of 5g
Gentadex eye drops : Bottle of 10 ml.