- ANTIPSYCHOTIC DRUGS
- PSYCHOTHERAPEUTIC DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Film Coated Tablets
- Composition : Haloperidol 20 mg / Ctd.Tab
- Active Substance : Haloperidol
Halomed is a potent neuroleptic belonging to the butyrophenones and has the following properties :
– excellent antipsychotic action .
– wide safety range .
– leaves the patient alert , does not over sedation .
– virtually free of autonomic effects , e.g. orthostatic hypotension .
– highly effective in nausea and vomiting .
– rapid onset of action .
– Psychomotor agitation in mania , dementia , oligophrenia , psychopathy ,acute and
chronic schizophrenia , alcoholism .
– Delusions and hallucinations in acute and chronic schizophrenia , paranoia , acute confusion .
– Choreic movements and stuttering .
– Agitation , aggressiveness and confused states in elderly .
– Behavior and character disorders in children .
-In the treatment of vomiting and singultion.
Contra indications :
Halomed is contraindicated in severe CNS depression or comatose states from any cause
and in Individuals who are hypersensitive to this drug or have Parkinson’s disease .
Halomed should be administered with caution to patients :
– with sever Cardiovascular disorders .
– receiving anticonvulsant medications , or anticoagulants .
– with known allergies , or with a history of allergic reactions to drugs .
the physician should keep in mind the possible increase in intraocular pressure when
anticholinergic drugs are administered concomitantly with Haloperidol .
Side Effects :
Extrapyramidal symptoms, tardive dyskinesia, tardive dystonia , anxiety , drowsiness ,
depression , headache , tachycardia , impaired liver function , dry mouth , blurred vision ,
urinary retention , gastro intestinal disorders , acneiform skin reactions .
Dosage and administration :
There is considerable variation from patient to patient in the amount of medication required for therapy As with all neuroleptic drugs , it is virtually important to titrate the dose of Halomed to the needs of each patient .Titration should be carried out as rapidly as possible to achieve optimum therapeutic control . To determine the initial dosage , consideration should be given to the patient’s age ,severity of illness , previous response to other neuroleptic drugs and any concomitant medication or pathologic condition , Patients with previous adverse reactions to neuroleptic drugs and those who are elderly or debilitates may required less Halomed the optimal response in such patients is usually obtained with
more gradual titration and at lower dosage levels .
Clinical experience suggests the following recommendations :
Oral administration initial dosage range :
Moderate symptomatology 0.5 – 1.5 mg( 2- 3 ) times daily .
Severe symptomatology 3.0 – 5.0 mg ( 2- 3 ) times daily .
To achieve prompt control , higher doses may be required in some cases
Elderly and debilitated patients 0.5 – 1.5 mg ( 2- 3 ) times daily .
Chronic or resistant patients 3.0- 5.0 mg ( 2- 3 ) times daily .
Patients who remain severely disturbed or inadequately controlled may occasionally require further titration of dosage . up to 100 mg may be necessary in some severely resistant
patients to achieve an optimal response .
Maintenance Dosage :
Upon achieving a satisfactory therapeutic response , dosage should then be gradually reduced to the lowest effective maintenance level .
Storage conditions : store between (15 – 30)o c
Packaging : Box contains 20 tab..or 50 tab.