- ANTI-INFECTIVE AGENTS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Drops
- Composition : Lomefloxacin HCl 3.31 mgEq. Lomefloxacin 3 mg/ 1 ml
- Active Substance : Lomefloxacin HCl
Lomefloxacin is one of difluoroquinolone derivatives, it is a bacterial inhibitor effective against gram positive and gram negative bacteria .
Lomefloxacin interferes in bacterial DNA related processes, where it target the subunit A of bacterial enzyme ( topoismerase II ) and forms a stable complex between quinolone and the whole tetramer A2B2 which leads to impaired enzyme functions, resulting in a rapid killing of sensetive bacteria
Bacterial infections of the anterior segment including conjunctivitis, blepharitis, and blepharoconjunctivitis which due to Lomefloxacin susceptible germs .
* Hypersensitivity to any of the product components
* Since the penetration of Lomefloxacin through the cornea is limited . It is not indicated in cases of bacterial keratitis and endophthalmitis .
* Pregnancy and lactation .
Precautions : * Long term treatment with antibiotics may enhance develop- ment of secondary fungal infections or may support growth of non susceptible bacteria .
* During treatment with Lomoquin intensive exposure to sunlight or UV- radiation should be avoided
* The drug should only be used when the benifit outweighs the potential risk for the foetus or the infant during pregnancy and lactation period .
Adverse reactions :
* Slight and transient burning immediately after following instillation of the eye drops .
* Since the following allergic reactions have been reported after systemic use of Lomefloxacin they can not be excluded after topical ophthalmic use :
( allergic reactions, asthma, dyspnea, urticaria, erythema, pruritus, and sensibility ) .
* In order to avoid reduction of efficacy, no ophthalmic preperation containing heavy metals such as Zinc, should be used during 15minutes following applications of Lomoquin .
* Ophthalmic antibiotics should not be used concomitantly with Lomoquin product.
Instill 1 drop into the lower conjunctival sac. 2 – 3 times daily at the beginning of the treatment applications should be more frequent where apply 5 drops within 20 minutes or 1 drop every hour during 6 – 10 hours .
Period of the treatment : 7 to 9 days .
Note : once opened the drops must not be used for longer than one month .
Packaging : Bottle of 10 ml.