- ANTI-INFECTIVE & ANTIBACTERIAL DRUGS
- DERMATOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Cream
- Composition : Mafenid acetate 112.37 mg Eq. Mafenid Base 85 mg / 1 g
- Active Substance : Mafenid
Mafenide is a sulfonamide antibacterial agent, It is baceriostatic for many gram-negative and gram-positive organisms, including pseudomonas aeruginosa and certain strains of anaerobes . It is contrary sulfonamide where it does not inhibit by para-
aminobenzoic acid or by serum or pus. Mafenide is freely soluble and diffuses into escharTopical Mafenide produces a marked reduction in the number of bacteria, which appeara vascular tissue of second – and third – degree burns . Therefore, it causes spontaneous healing of deep and thickness burns .
Mafimed cream or ointment is used as a primary therapy :
* For the prophylaxis of infections and treatment it in burns .
* For the treatment of burns infections in patients having a deep eschar .
Hypersensitivity to the Mafenide acetate .
Side effects :
Mafimed may cause pain or a burning sensation when application it on the burnt areas, with bleeding . The separation of the eschar may be delayed and fungal proliferation has been reported . Mafimed may be absorbed following topical application and produces systemic effects similar to those of other sulphonamides .
* It should be used with caution in patients with blood dyscrasia, glucose-6-
phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) dificiency, metabolic acidosis and pulmonary or renal function disorder ( Mafenide and its metabolite inhibit carbonic anhydrase activity, causing acidosis ).
* Acid – base balance should therefore be monitored and treatment should be temporarily stopped and fluid therapy given if persistent acidosis occurs.
* Pregnancy : should not be recommended in pregnant woman unless the burn area covers more than 20% of the total body surface, therefore Mafimed should not be used at term
* Caution is recommended in nursing mother, since systemically administered sulfonamides are distributed into breast milk and may cause kernicterus in infants .
* Should not be recommended in premature or newborn infants under to 2 months of age Precautions while using this medication : * Regular visits to physician to check progress .
* Checking with physician if no improvement occurs within a few days or weeks .
Usage & Administration :
Before applying, cleaning affected area, removing necrotizing or burnt skin . Wearing a sterile gloves to apply the medication, applying a thin layer to affected area .
Keeping affected area, covered with the medication at all times . After applying, cover treated area with a dressing or leave treated area uncovered as desired .
Compliance with full course of therapy, continuing medication until burn has healed or ready for grafting .
Mafimed Cream or Ointment : Tube of 20 – 40 – 70 g