- MIOTICS AND ANTIGLAUCOMA DRUGS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Drops
- Composition : Timolol Maleate 3.4 mg Eq. Timolol Base 2.5 mg /1 ml
- Active Substance : Timolol Maleate
Timolol maleate is a beta 1 and beta 2 ( non selective ) adrenergic receptor blocking agent .
This product when applied topically in the eye , has the action of reducing elevated intraocular pressure whether or not accompanied by glaucoma .
Medyol eye drops is used for the treatment of :
– Chronic open angele glaucoma .
– Secondary glaucoma .
– educing elevated intraocular pressure.
Medyol is contraindicated in patients with :
– Bronchial asthma or with a history of bronchial asthma .
– Severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
– Sinus bradycardia
– Second and third degree atrioventricular block
– Overt cardiac failure
– Cardiogenic Shock
– Hypersensitivity to any component of this product
– Safety of uses Medyol in pregnant women and nursing mothers not be established
– Should be used with severe caution in patients with asthma, cardiac failure or cerebrovascular insufficiency
Drug Interactions :
– In cases of closed angle glaucoma, Medyol should be used with miotics and not alone
– Close observation of the patient is recommended when a beta blocker is administered to patients receiving catechelamine depeleting drugs as reserpine because of possible additive effects such as production of hypotension and marked bradycardia .
– The concomitant topical use of two drugs of beta adrenergic blocking agents is not
Adverse reactions :
– Some signs of ocular irritation (allergic conjunctivitis , plepharitis , visual disturbance) .
– Rarely : headache , bradycardia , hypotension , nausea , vertigo , and depression .
– Sometimes : pruritus , urticaria , and pronchospasm .
Dosage & Administration :
The usual starting dose is one drop of Medyol 0.25 % twice a day
if clinical response is not adequate the dosage may be changed to one drop of Medyol 0.5 %
twice a day .
Note : once opnded the drops must not be used for longer than one month .
Packing : Medyol 0.5 % eye drops : bottle 10 ml.
Medyol 0.25 % eye drops : bottle 10 ml.