- OBSTETRIC AND GYNECOLOGICAL DRUGS
- ANTIPROTOZOAL DRUGS
- ANTI-INFECTIVE DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Ovule
- Composition : Metronidazole 500 mg / Ovules
- Active Substance : Metronidazole
This drug is indicated in the local treatment of some vaginal infections :
Trichomonas vaginalis and non-specific vaginitis .
Metronidazole Medico is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity ( allergy ) to metronidazole to any of its excipients or to other drugs tormulated with imidazole derivatives .
Pregnancy & Lactation :
This drug is not recommended during lactation and pregnancy .
If for compelling reasons, Metronidazole must be administered longer than the usually recommended
Duration , it is recommended that hematological tests, especially white blood cell count should be carried out regularly and that patients should be monitored for adverse reactions such as peripheral or central neuropathy ( such as paresthesia, ataxia, dizziness, convulsive seizures )
Patients should be advised not drink alcohol during treatment and for at least 24 hours following the end of the treatment due to the possibility of a disulfiram-like reaction ( e.g. redness, flushing, vomiting
And fast heart rate ).
Metronidazole Medico should be used with caution in patients with active or chronic severe peripheral
and central nervous system diseases due to the risk of neurological aggravation.
Reddish brown coloration of the urine, of no consequence, may be observed during the treatment .
Metronidazole should be administered with caution to patients with hepatic encephalopathy .
The simultaneous use of a pessary with condoms or diagrams may increase the risk of rupture of the
In order to avoid possible interactions with other medicines, inform your physician or pharmacist About any other current treatment .
Metronidazole should not be used in association with disulfiram, alcohol and drugs containing alcohol.
Metronidazole may also interact with the following drugs : oral anticoagulants therapy ( monitor prothrombin time and adjust anticoagulant therapay as needed due to increased bleeding potential )
Lithium and cyclosporin ( monitor levels as it may be increased ), Phenytoin and Phenobarbital ( decreased level of metronidazole ) , 5 Fluorouracil ( monitor for signs of toxicity as the clearance may be reduced ).
Side effects :
• Digestive upsets : abdominal cramps , nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, oral mucositis ( inflammation Of the oral mucous membrane ), taste disorders, loss of appetite exceptional and reversible cases of Pancreatitis ( inflammation of the pancreas ),
• Allergic reactions : rash (eruption ), prurtus (itching), flushing, urticaria ( skin eruption with itching
Wheals) fever and angioedema (a severe condition characterized by swelling of face, tongue, throat or larynx), exceptional anaphylactic shocks ( a severe allergic reaction of sudden onset ) and very rare
• Peripheral and central nervous system disorders:
Peripheral sensory neuropathy , headache , dizziness, convulsions and ataxia (incoordination of
Voluntary movements ),
• Psychiatric disorders : psychotic disorders including confusion and hallucinations ,
• Visions disorders: trnsient vision disorders such as diplopia ( perception of double vision ) or myopia ,
• Hematology disorders : very rare cases of agranulocytosis (a decrease in blood count of certain white cells, neutropenia (decrease in the number of neutrophils , a type of white blood cells ) and thrombocytopenia ( decrease of the number of platelets ).
• Liver : very rare cases of reversible abnormal liver function tests and cholestatic hepatitis have been reported .
Dosage and administration :
FOR ADULTS ONLY .
Trichomonas vaginalis vaginitis : one pessary / day, inserted deep into the vaginal , for 10 days ,
In combination with oral treatment .
Non specific vaginitis : one pessary / day , inserted deep into the vagina , for 7 days
Your partner should be treated simultaneously even if he / she dose not demonstrate any clinical signs.
Method of administration :
Vaginal route . The pessary should generally be inserted in the evening at bedtime, laying flat.
Storage conditions : do not store above 25 C
Pack of 10 Ovules .