- MIOTICS AND ANTIGLAUCOMA DRUGS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Drops
- Composition : Pilocarpine HCl 20 mg / 1 ml
- Active Substance : Pilocarpine HCl
Pilocarpine is sympathomimetic agent with the muscarinic effects of acetylcholine, it is mainly used as a miotic in the treatment of glaucoma .
Miosis occurs in about 10 to 30 minutes and lasts 4 to 8 hours while peak reduction in intra-ocular pressure occurs within 15 minutes and the reduction usually persists for 4 to 14 hours .
Pilocarpine drops is used in following cases :
* Reduce intraocular pressure in open -angle glaucoma .
* Control intraocular pressure in chronic simplex glaucoma .
* Pilocarpine drops may also be used as part of the emergency treatment of acute attacks of closed – angle glaucoma prior to surgery .
Side Effects :
Pilocarpine HCL is usually good tolerated but in the common with other miotics may produce ciliary spasm, ocular pain and irritation, blurred vision, myopia , headache around orbit , alternate headache .
* Miotics are contraindicated in conditions where pupillary constriction undiserable such as : acute iritis, acute uveitis, anterior uveitis, and some forms of secondary glaucoma .
* Hypersensitivity to any of its components .
* Miotics should be used with extreme caution in patients with a history of retinal detachment and in young patient with myopia .
* Miosis may cause difficulty with dark adaptation and caution is necessary with night driving or when hazardous tasks are undertaken in poor illumination .
* Avoid overdosage .
Dosage & Administration :
Instill two drops in the eye ( 3 – 4 ) times daily .
Under selection conditions more frequent instillation may be indicated .
Important Note : Pilocarpine ophthalmic solution should not be used after one month of opening the Container .
Bottle 10 ml.