- ANTI-INFECTIVE AGENTS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Ointments
- Composition : Rifamycin Sodium 10 mg/1 g
- Active Substance : Rifamycin Sodium
Rifamycin is a broadspectrum bacteriocidal antibiotic in ocular infectionsIt is active against a wide variety of pathogenic gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, and it is also active against most of the pathogenicresponsible bacteria for ocular infections such as : chlamydia trachomatous,staphylococcus aureus, all form streptococcus, pneumococcus,corynobacterium diphtheriae, neisseria menigitidis, neisseria gonorrhoeae, pseudomonas and proteus, in additional to its important effect against tubercle bacillus .
Rifamed is indicated in the topical treatment of infections of the external eye and its adnexa, caused by susceptible bacteria, such as :
– Acute, subacute or chronic bacterial conjunctivitis .
– Blepharitis .
– Keratitis .
– Dacryocystitis .
Dosage & Administration :
Rifamed ophthalmic drops : instill one or two drops in the affected eye every4-6 hours .
Rifamed ophthalmic ointment : apply to the affected eye once or twice at bedtime .
Frequency of administration may be increased in severe cases .
Hypersensitivity to Rifamycin .
1)Prolonged use of topical antibiotics may cause to overgrowth of non-susceptible organisms.
2)This preparation should not be given to patients using contact lenses, because of lens discoloration .
3) If irritation or hypersensitivity to the drug develops, discontinue the treatment and institute appropriate therapy .
4) The period of the treatment should not excess 10 days .
Side effects :
Transient irritation, allergic reactions have been reported .
Important Note : Rifamed ophthalmic solution should not be used after one month of opening the container .
* Rifamed Ophthalmic solution : 10 ml.
* Rifamed ophthalmic ointment : 5 g.